Originally Posted by bangeye
I had one in 6mm years ago, and it shot just fine. In addition I have also owned 788s in 243, 30-30 and 22-250. All of these shot just fine too but truthfully I have never found the magic in the 788. They shoot good but not any better than say a savage 110 or a ruger 77 or a remington 700 or winchester that I have owned. The first 788 I bought was $90 new in the box and was about all the $ I had as a young newlywed. However for nearly $500 used I think there are better buys out there than a 788. I think in another thread I saw where close out Ruger all weather Hawkeyes are being sold for $499. No contest IMHO. I just recently bought a nos Weatherby vanguard I for $305 again no contest IMHO, so there are better buys to be had if you look around so don't put yourself in a $$ bind or in dutch with your wife for a 788.

I still won't patronize ruger for past sins...

Every 788 I've shot or bought has shot better, easier than about almost every 700 until I started messing with the 700s... I had only one, a 22-250 that shot really well from teh get go to be as good as the 788s...

But to be fair their triggers suck, but dang they tend to shoot unbelievably well and who cares what they look like in case thats brought up.

If only comparing factory ammo, then I could see the possiblity of others shooting as well as 788s...

our first 788 would put Rem corelockt bullets, 5 of them into groups you could cover easily wiht dimes... consistently... in 243.... I had not seen a 700 that would do that without work until the 22-250...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....