I like the look of the checkered, small forearm handle.

I was surprised to find that the line per inch checkering was different, stock (20 lpi) vs. handle (18 lpi). I've heard that work was farmed out and whoever did that checkering, used different tools, different spacing, probably different people.

Those old guns were really well put together and are super slick. Ithaca fans seem to be looking for a cheap gun, tend to pride themselves on how cheap. That one cost me $255 from a major Houston dealer. Then, on the Shotgun World Ithaca forum, one member jumped all over me for altering the stock. Said he's been looking for a pre-war stock for years and I'd ruined this one. Oh well...

I explained my thinking. If this was an expensive collector, then I would have been more cautious. The wood was really beat up, so I did what I thought was needed to make it a shooter to suit me, no thought about the collector issue. I guess I can see it from his point of view.

Hard to get these guns for cheap, then act like they're high dollar trophies. From what I've learned about Lou Smith, the Ithaca founder, he would like to see his guns out in the field being used.

Philosophical disagreement...

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/26/16.