Hiaring8: I wish to highly recommend for you a "serious" Varmint caliber for your consideration!
Currently I have Varmint Rifles in 26 (twenty six) different "Varmint" calibers (under .25 caliber that is)!
And in most of those calibers I have multiple Rifles.
I have been shooting Ground Squirrels with both centerfire and rimfire guns for more than 50 years now and hope to do so for another 50!
I know, wishful thinking that.
IF... you are looking for ONE cartridge to use on Ground Squirrels at "longer ranges" then THE perfect caliber for you IS the 204 Ruger!
In my opinion Varmint Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger are THE best of "all around" Varminting Rifles!
Don't get me wrong - Varmint Rifles in caliber 22-250 Remington WILL kill Ground Squirrels (I have eleven of them in this caliber right now!) but for Ground Squirreling and for useages "all around" the Varminting world, GO with the 204 Ruger cartridge in whichever Rifle you like best.
I had a friend along Ground Squirreling last year and he had a Remington heavy barrel Rifle with him in caliber 22-250 Remington.
He could NOT spot his own hits and misses - and he was constantly complaining about having to wait for his barrel to cool before he could shoot it again!
Barrel heating IS a major concern in Colony Varmint Hunting.
I have killed MANY Coyotes and Badgers with my various 204 Ruger Rifles - don't doubt the lethality of this smaller caliber for even a minute, as I have as yet to need a second shot on any of these!
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy