Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by 4ager
Her ruling is essentially irrelevant at this point, as it will be appealed for a de novo review. It is not her ruling that renders the split, but that of the Appeals Court, and the split is on scrutiny, not on the viability of the ban.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I almost surely am). But if she twists the logic around to where the ban is permissible under strict scrutiny, then our appeal would be less about the level of scrutiny and more about whether AR's and standard magazines are common weapons/etc/etc/etc. The Supreme Court could ignore the scrutiny issue (again), though even then I think they'd be stretching to do that. But if agreeing to ignore the scrutiny issue is what it takes to get 5 votes, I think they would pass on it. There definitely is politics at play in SCOTUS..

Whereas if she rules the bans unconstitutional under strict scrutiny, then Maryland's primary appeal would almost certainly be over the level of scrutiny that should be required.

I don't expect both her and the appeals court to uphold a ban under strict scrutiny, but I didn't expect the Supreme Court to let the Highland case with at least 1 split already out there.

She could try to twist it. Hell, she could rule than a water gun is ban permissible under strict. The Appeals Court will evaluate her entire ruling under strict and determine whether she applied it correctly and whether her decision is correct. Her ruling at this point is a formality. There is no way the ban passes under strict at the Appeals Court level, and that appeal to the SCOTUS is what matters because THAT gives us the split needed and the 2nd and 7th essentially dared the SCOTUS to take the cases anyway. With the split on scrutiny, they will. At the SCOTUS level, the SCOTUS sets the questions for the case.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.