Picked up a Savage Model 11 FXP3 in .243 Win today at a gun show in Colorado Springs. It came with a Simmons 8-point 3-9s scope in the rings, which will eventually be replaced. (I have a Burris scope for it and will probably replace the rings, too.)

Don't really need a .243 but at $295 plus $10 for the background check I couldn't refuse - I figured the action was worth that. The stock is a little flimsy, about like a Ruger American and may get replaced as well.

If the rifle shoots it may stay a .243. If not I'm considering a rebarrel to, well, pretty much any short action cartridge except a .243 Win or 6mm Rem. If necessary I'm willing to change to the bolt head and magazine follower. The long list so far:

With no bolt head or mag follower change required:
6.5 Creedmoor
.260 Rem
7mm-08
.308 Win
.338 Federal

With bolt head and mag follower change:
.300 RCM
.338 RCM

I already reload for, among others, .257 Roberts, .6.5-06AI, .280 Rem, 7mm RM, .308 Win, .30-06, .300WM and .338WM so it isn't like I'm trying to fill a big gap somewhere. Frankly, I'm not even certain whether to go for something accurate and fun to shoot or change the bolt head and follower and get more of a thumper. The top contenders are probably the .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Win.

Here's a photo of the rifle. Not a beauty but it's a Savage and I expect it will shoot. The stock may get changed down the road for something more solid.

[Linked Image]

Curious what you guys (and gals) would do?

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/06/16. Reason: Put .338 Fed in right place

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.