Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by jt402
I have never paid for a background check. Gov't doesn't charge for them and cell calls are mostly no charge except the used time.

Other than that, I really don't know why you bought it. The changes you discuss will run the cost to more than value. On the other hand, I find the .243 useful. Give it a chance.

Jack

You're not from Colorado, are you? Although it may (or may not) have changed in the last year or so, Colorado law has required the CBI to collect a fee for background checks. Regardless, a lot of dealers charge for the service and at $305 out the door I don't really care if it was $10 for the rifle and $295 for taxes and background check.

It isn't important to me that you know why I bought it or that you approve my intended changes. And yes, the intended changes will cost more than the original value of the rifle. They will also, however, add to that value and, much more importantly, the Savage action allows me to customize the rifle to my desires without any added expenses for a gun smith.

I’ve already stated that if the .243 barrel shoots the rifle may stay as a .243. Or not, depending on a variety of factors including personal whims. The stock, however, is not long for this world and the scope, rings and bases have already been replaced. If I replace the barrel at a later date I will have much less invested in this rifle than I do either of my other customized rifles and I expect it to shoot every bit as well.

Personally, I think you snagged one heck of a great buy. As you stated, Savages just flat SHOOT! A .260 would be awesome!

Kelly