The reason I wasn't sold on wool is because I've heard a lot of people (who perhaps have never even used wool) criticize it in favor of modern pants. The main gripe being that it gets heavy when wet. But I have to admitt, listening to the wealth of first hand experience here I realize I did wool an injustice by figuring it has been left in the dust by modern developments. But I'm still looking at other options.
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Cabelas Micro Tex (especially considering the price), not a cold weather pant exactly, but I figure I want to layer my legs as well as my torso; so an uninsulated pant with something I can remove insulating in between them and my base layer seems to make sense?
I am also not sold on waterproofing (whuch of course most wool, as well as the previously mentioned Micro Tex, isn't) everything, in some places maybe, but where I am I think focusing on good gators and gear that will help me not sweat (like I said above, I hear waterproof pants get sweaty, but if anybody wants to stear me right on this go ahead) is more important.