Experience with Partitions on brown bear is hard and expensive to come by frown

So I don't have much,but here's my thoughts FWIW.

I have used the old screw machine 270 gr on my first bear and of two hits, one was recovered and one sailed on through the lungs.The recovered bullet was sort of caved in at the base,and peeled back to the Partition.

I watched a companion kill one with a 375 and 300 gr NPT and both shots exited;also another that was just flattened with the 180 NPT from a 300 Weatherby.

Friends from back here who have successfully killed Alaskan browns have variously used: 270 gr NPT-375H&H,300 gr 375H&H ,7mm 175 NPT,275 BBC from 375 H&H,270 gr-375 WW Power Point. One intrepid sort used the 270 Winchester and 160 NPT.

Another pal use a 416 Rigby and a heavy Barnes X (I want to say 400 gr). He hit his bear a bit on the bias and it was alive an hour later and still very dangerous.The bullet broke an onside shoulder but was not angled to reach the plumbing.

The bear killed with the 270 died a whole bunch quicker.Great bullets, regardless their virtues, don't guarantee us anything

All these guys came home without being eaten or mauled.

From a rooky's perspective, the bottom line is there are far more great bear bullets today than there used to be, but the bottom line is still the same....work in close, place the first shot with surgical precision, and don't screw it up. I wouldn't ever hesitate to use a Nosler Partition under those circumstances....or a Barnes, or a Swift, or NF or BBC. I know if i do my job they are all going to work. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/07/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.