Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Sounds like a plan Bob! Are you still actively working with the Mashburn ?
I always enjoy our discourse, we've explored many subtle points over the years. I am the richer for it.

To the OP : good luck with your .280 Fwt M70 quest.
Mine is a '92 NH Fwt Classic, and it has been a real gem.
Over the years I've had others ( Rem 700 Mtn, 725, 700 KS now AId ), but this is the best of the type.

I truly hope that Winchester can deliver enough of them in .280, so that all who would consider purchasing them can do so.

Waiting over a year for a Shot Show special to "arrive" is just painful.

Hard to find one any better than that. I've admired those, but figured I already have a good 270 win and 30-06...

Yup - No flies on either of those. That's why they are the King and Queen !

With my .280 Fwt Classic, and 700KS in 280 AI it is very difficult to justify anything in .270 or .30'06. My backup is a M70 SS Classic in .308

Back story on my commitment to the .280 Rem & AI, is that I had hunted with a borrowed BRNO in 7x57 w/ a low mounted 2.5x scope, and open sights. I only fired it on paper to confirm sight-in, and Dad said it was "Ok, and don't get too attached to it" Hmmm
Returning that was not easy.
It was a natural pointing wonder, that fed cartridges like greased lightning; slow or fast cycle. I can't comment on accuracy, but it was minute of cow elk accurate. Yummm

I wanted more MV, and the magic of that mauser , which led me to study on the .280.

Later, I could've stumbled into equally good .270's or .30'06 , but I persisted with my passion, and the Fwt .280 has given me much of the same thrill as that 7x57. I had a wood/blue 700 Mtn that wasn't as accurate as I wanted, and I started looking for .280 w 24" barrel to possibly punch out to Improved ( RCBS or AI ). They were scarcer than hens teeth. Many 22" .280's went through my hands until I dummied up, and realized that I really wanted a 22" .280 for Whitetail etc, and the 24" 280 AI for Mule Deer and Antelope, maybe Cariboo. Now I am happy.

Knowing what I know now about the chambering & throating variances of 7x57's, 275 Rigbys etc. I don't think I would mess with it today.
I would have to take a long hard look at a 7mm-08 first, in a Win M70
if the .280 wasn't available ;-)

I suspect that a 22" 7mm-08 120BT could do it all

Cheers