In a nutshell, my employer, who I've been with for 18+ years under one company name or another, has updated his employee handbook. This is the first time it has been updated in about 10 years and includes a non-compete clause that I'm just not comfortable with. It's a plumbing and heating business and he's basically trying to stake a claim to any general contractor or citizen that he's ever had business with in his 30 year business history.

The wording of the clause aside, I'm questioning the tactic used to force all employees to sign the agreement. In a nutshell we're told that we sign it or lose our job. I can see that being a condition of employment for a new hire, but to tell an existing employee such a thing sounds an awful lot like blackmail of some sort.

The kicker is that Michigan is an "At Will" state, meaning employers can fire the employees at any time and for no reason whatsoever.

Does anyone have any solid info on the legality of being forced to sign an agreement under threat of termination?

I'm fully licensed to "go out on my own" as we say and am currently looking for another employer and I really don't want such an agreement that I'm forced to sign against my will hanging around my neck, so to speak.

*I'm aware of why employers institute these types of clauses. I don't need input on that topic. I'm strictly looking for input on whether coercing an employee to do something like this under threat of termination is legal.

Thanks in advance.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile