With all due respect, if you're within $300 of bouncing a check then don't write a check.

I know it's the norm to live paycheck to paycheck but really, just don't do it. Keep enough money in the account to cover accidental screw ups like this. Anyone with a job can set aside $2000 to keep as a buffer in their savings account.

Before I married her my ex-wife would always spend everything she had every month. She was obviously capable of counting money because she spent everything she had plus $100 every month. If she was capable of doing that then she was capable of spending $100 less than she made every month.

I'm not comfortable unless I have at least $10K in my checking account. I don't want to bounce a check...period. It's not that hard, don't spend more than you have. If you don't have something put away then make the wife eat ramen noodles for a couple of months until you have that buffer put away. I've never balanced a checkbook in my life and I'm 47 years old. Just keep enough money in the account where a $300 screw up doesn't leave you bouncing a check.

Beyond that it's just math, add the columns on the statement and figure out where the screw up is. They key is not to let it get to the point where you're in danger of bouncing a check.