I had given 357 a thought, I would be pretty comfortable with it for deer in the woods, but I felt that it was a little light for a bear (not that the bear here are very big).

The Maximum is about the minimum I am really considering. I like its flexibility. I am set up to reload 357 mags so the maximum would be easy to add reloading wise.

30-30 is a safe choice, we all know it would work like a charm at the ranges I am looking at, there are lots of proven bullets (and I have a little itch to try the 140 monflex). I am set up to load the 30-30 as I have a 94win.

The 35 rem of course would work, but brass is scarce these days. and I don't have dies. Its also the one with the most recoil. As I want to keep the carbine as light as practical I wonder if it won't kick a bit in 35 rem.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge