Originally Posted by fourbore
The though the 6.8 used the same bolt as 223. The 6.5 uses the same (larger face) bolt as 762 Russian. But I found this: "6.8 Spc is based on the 30 Remington" And both require different bolts.

The case capacity is very similar because the 6.5 has the shoulder moved back. I did not expect to get called out on that. The 6.8 is optimized more for lighter bullets. You have a good point on the capacity - and good fact checking all around.

I may have under estimated the 6.8

I appreciate the correction. Might go 6.5 my self but it maybe more a coin toss than what I understood.

The 6.8 has become a hunters round, Texas hog hunters love it. A lot more companies produce the 6.8 than the 6.5. The 6.8 has more hunting bullets in the proper weight range that were designed to expand at the velocities the 6.8 cartridge can reach. Where most of the 6.5 bullets were designed for the 260 Rem and the Grendel doesn't push them fast enough to expand the bullets out past 250-300yds. 1800fps is the apx expansion threshold for most of the bullets IIRC. When Jordan's and the Saudi's Presidential guard chose the 6.8 Federal got involved and developed the XM68 ammo loaded with 90gr Gold Dots. Gold Dots loaded for the price of FMJs at 10-$14 was a huge breakthrough toward decent affordable ammo good enough to hunt with.
3-4 years ago we sold a bunch of the 6.8s to a branch of the DEA and a company that had a contract with the Border patrol. We've sent a few to almost every agency for testing but the usual response is the budget prevents them from swapping calibers. Just 6 months ago another agency started testing a special purpose bullet and load with very specific performance requirements. It looks like they have already chose the 6.8 and are moving ahead with specific ammo.

Last edited by constructor; 02/15/16. Reason: "a"

"I threw a touchdown pass in the last minute to win the state championship game. I know it was 30 years ago and not relevant to this discussion but it makes me important and believable, it's the only great thing I even accomplished"