So this old gun is all over the map. We couldn't get it on paper at 25 yards and the POI was different for each shot. Initially I thought that the barrel was too pitted and the crown too worn... however, I discovered the front post is so loose I could push it out without a drift punch. So the first course of action is to re mount and centre the sight with a punch and some loctite.
In the meantime I have noticed that my eyes are not doing so well with iron sights in general. Keeping everything in focus as well as centred on target seems to be guess work. Groups are embarrassingly large compared to how I do with my scoped guns...

So... I am considering adding some kind of optic improvement to this 1899. I had read that some older eyes were doing well with a tang sight... the longer sight radius was keeping things in focus for them. Given the cost of vintage tang sights - $275USD I thought maybe a new Marble at $120USD was better suited to this non-collector as well as my wallet. New Marble

Or, I could just get this vintage K4 as I am already drilled and tapped...
[Linked Image]

Thoughts?

Thx,
EJ

Last edited by elchjager; 02/29/16.