I am going to try and blood my Ruger hawkeye 7 rem mag on a bruin this spring season. Load will ether be 175 gr partition @2900 fps or a 160gr speer spitzer @3048. Got some new wide open areas after the fires last year so long shots might be in order.

Alot of spring bears I spy from afar, like 3/4 of a mile and farther and plan a stock on the bear. Most of the time when all works out, shots are not bad 100-200ish. Sometimes ya find it easier or just want to shoot than try to close the gap... its all fun grin

Last spring bear I kilt was with my iron sighted 1895 ss marlin 45-70 with handloaded 350gr horn round nose bullets at about 150 yards. One shot as it was feeding toward me centered on the top of his head as he lowered it to eat. Boom, dirt nap. Entered scull, exit right butt cheek cool

It was a beautiful fresh from hibernation, long clawed and long hair blond faze male black bear. Had to look it over for a bit with the binocs to make sure it was not the other kind of bear with REAL long claws 'griz' before I shot...

Been a couple years since I kilt a springy and looking towards hunt'n one.

So, who's using what and how for spring bears here on the 'fire??

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member