Originally Posted by boomwack
This Volkswagen bear you speek of, I know the kind. Large, wize, the agility of a ballerina and very sneeky, The kind of bear that one can re-carpet the living room with a rug his size would be.

Hunt well my friend, may you be graced by the Volkswagen.

It's fun getting to know a bear on his turf, over several years. Where he sleeps, feeds, waters, travels. How he uses the wind, what he capitalizes on, like deer season, berry crops, acorns. He likes to lay in the small pools of water each day in summer to cool off. The hard part is knowing which one to watch on a given day. We've seen many a bear at these little 4' round puddles, but have never caught him at one.

I actually thought I got him a 4 years ago. Was still hunting along and heard a bear ahead and across the draw. Sounded like he was tearing apart a log. Snuck in close and hit the fawn bleat. About 10 minutes later this dude came sauntering in all dominant, like a big boy does. Turns out there was two good ones in there and the Volkswagen Bear yet lived.

At this point he's earned the right to be there and be left alone by me. If I see him now I'll probably give him a pass. Who knows, maybe not. I like to go in there and hunt him every now and then.

It's all about the hunt, not the kill.

LOL