Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I researched the 30 AR and brass appears unobtainable. Never heard of the 375 SOCOM. Usually the lightest bullets for that bore is 200-235. H&H bullets are going to be like a FMJ from an AR. I could see the 35 SOCOM and use 150gr pointy bullets.

Maybe a Grendel necked up to 30 cal. Oops - I guess the 7.62x39 has been around for a long time, why reinvent the wheel.

I've got time to decide - maybe. If the b!tch or the "business man" get elected, I may have to buy the parts right now.

Since you're mentioning 30 and 35 cals - check out the 30 Herrett and 357 Herrett based wildcats for the AR platform. These use 6.8 SPC brass, and regular Herrett dies (currently in production by Hornady). You can do it on the Grendel case too (basically 7.62x39 Improved) but then you're looking at custom dies. The other advantage of 6.8 SPC brass is the smaller case head allowing higher pressure without breaking the AR bolt. Case capacity is similar for either one.

For the 30 cal, research the 30 HRT (Herrett Rimless Tactical) and BHW's 30 American. There are others too, all very similar. I'm running this one in a 20" barrel, which I made using a 30 Herrett reamer. Ballistics are a little faster than the 30/30 Win.

For the 35 cal there is a lot less information out there, but it's the same idea, neck the 6.8 case up to 35 and use 357 Herrett dies. I call my version the 358 Herrett, since I made it from a .358" barrel blank. I shortened the sizing die a little; bumping the shoulder back based on the length of the 200gr Hornady SP and FTX bullets and AR mag internal length (~2.300"). From a 16" barrel, this one duplicates or slightly exceeds ballistics of the 35 Remington from a 20" lever gun.

358 Herrett with a few bullet options (the heavy blue bullets are for subsonic loads, 255gr hollow point and 270gr solid)
[Linked Image]

30 Herrett rimless
[Linked Image]