Originally Posted by Labman95
Who makes a synthetic stock for the Ruger RSM rifles? I've seen this question asked several times on the net and the answer has always been the same - nobody. I have an early RSM in 416 Rigby and was interested in a replacement myself but have never seen one. If anyone knows of a manufacturer please speak up.

I believe this is right and probably only Ruger might be able to supply a replacement for the 416 Rigby RSM, if any are left. The bedding system is different than the standard LA Mk2s.

Not sure why you'd need a replacement as I've never heard of an RSM stock splitting. I had a 458 Lott for quite a while and shot fairly heavy loads in it without problems. A significant distinctive feature of the RSM is the classic wood stock so I'm not sure of the reason for a synthetic replacement.

I agree with 458Win on functionality. To that end I have a couple of Ruger Hawkeyes - a SS Alaskan and a blue steel African - both re-bored to 0.423" that have both wood and synthetic stocks to make them suitable for any climate or conditions. Both are ballistic twins to the 416 Rigby, a lot cheaper, and DG hunting guns by any measure, Africa or elsewhere.

BTW, just buying a 416 Ruger will get you there out of the box with a lot less trouble, unles you happen to suffer from the same disease I do - 404 mania. crazy smile

Added: Although I don't think it's needed because the stock is well designed to absorb and spread recoil + the rifle is relatively heavy -- if you're looking to reduce recoil, a well fitted threaded muzzle brake with a thread protector can be added. The FS may need to be moved back so it might get pricey. I wouldn't monkey with adding a recoil reducer to the buttstock as the balance changes significantly.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 03/25/16. Reason: Added info

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now