Moving the scope away from the eye is one benefit. Another is a good portion of the recoil can be absorbed by the off hand. For me it's the left hand. I hold a high recoiling rifle way different than even my 338 WM. (Which I do not consider a heavy kicker). But when shooting a 458 Lott or a 416 Rigby things start changing. Spreading recoil around is more comfortable than receiving it all with the butt of the rifle. There's lots of considerations for a high recoiling rifle stock design.
Having a comfortable place for my cheek that pulls away from my cheek is also neccesary - etc.
having a straighter off arm (for me is my left) will allow less recoil absorbed by my shoulder. Having good grip on the fore-end and the wrist will also help.
Many people who hate recoil shoot all the rifles like they're 243's. It seems to me Ruger stock design engineers similarity have little knowledge of their craft when it comes to heavy kickers. They use nearly the same design that they use on their 243's.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally