Here's why I'm asking, knowing that the terrain in parts of Africa seem to be a lot like our southern palmetto scrub (i.e., dense). The other day I was on our lease and, instead of carrying one of my rifles with a low power scope, I had a M98 with a 3-9. A young boar, about 60 pounds or so, came running across a right-of-way at about 15 feet. I've shot enough birds over the years to still be pretty quick on the shoulder (with a shotgun, obviously), but even with the scope set at 3x, I couldn't find the pig very quickly and when I finally did he was just a black indistinguishable blob. If I'd have actually shot and wounded him, and he disappeared in the palmetto, as I said in my OP, the final range would have been measured in feet, not yards. I'm not sure my 2.5 wouldn't have still been a bit much, but the 1.5 would have been fine.

As I was walking back to the truck I was thinking to myself, "If I'd have had my A5 or M12..." That's why I asked about y'all's experience with a low power scope vs. iron sights (even fiber optic).

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown