Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I wouldn't slum a Mossberg either. I've had friends with them and they are noisy pos sob's. Kind of like the old Maverick 88's. They are cheap in comparison to the 870. Life is to short and precious to use an ugly shotgun in the field. The same has been said about rifles.

Actually they're a well designed gun and in fact it could easily be argued that it's a better design than the 870. They also can easily be tightened up to eliminate slide rattle if you have half a brain and 15 minutes of spare time. Ithaca 37's are just as loose as a Mossberg but are generally considered to be a fine shotgun. They too can easily be tightened up to eliminate slide rattle. I've done both my Mossberg and my Ithaca and both are now tighter than a stock 870. There is a deluxe version of the 500 {called the hunter classic} with cut checkered, black walnut stock and forend and high polish blue that can be had for about the same price as that huge POS, rust bucket 870 Express. No question which is the better, nicer looking gun between those two.