Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by moosemike
I decided to get a 12 gauge with 3" capability and because of price its come down between these two. Any reason to pick one over the other?
Yes - get the 870.

Tons (and I MEAN tons) more ammo will go down the bore before you'll need to have it worked on.. And it's got a better trigger right out of the box.. An even BETTER trigger can be had by obtaining the Timney kit and installing that..
Other than broken safety buttons on the Mossbergs, {which I recommend anyone replace immediately with a steel safety from Brownells} I can't say I've had or seen more problems with Mossbergs than Remingtons and I've put one helluvalot of rounds through both. I also worked on plenty of both back when I did general gunsmithing. Most problems with either were due to manufacturing defects {and Remington sure as hell has it's share of those} neglect or bubba gunsmithing. The Mossbergs will hold up a long time. Maybe not as long as an 870 but certainly through more rounds than even an active hunter will shoot in a lifetime.

Old LE armorer-level gun mechanic here and I agree 100%. The 500's are so easy to rebuild, there's no need to send them anywhere. Need to replace an ejector on a 500? Order from Brownells and DIY in 5 minutes with a screwdriver. Need to replace one on a Remington? Find a shipping box...

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ