fwiw,
I personally HATE case forming... Outside of the .223 AI I simply can't get excited with necking up, down, looking for donuts, and worst of all turning necks... I would have zero problems building a 6.5x284 to work with Lapua Brass, however, I'd pass on necking it up or down. It has enough horsepower to do fairly impressive things with 140 grain High BC 6.5mm Bullets. I see no need to try to make a .284 over again... They tried, flawed as it was, and it largely failed short of folks like Melvin Forbes who built it on a dedicated intermediate action that was long enough to take advantage of the boiler room AND there was a reason to make it work. I guess. What it would do that a .280 or a 7x64 would not I don't know, however, cartridge weirdness is a rifle looney's right... Personally I'd build a 7mm-08 using Lapua Brass and try to erode the throat on game AND practice shots. Mild pleasant round to shoot you might as well get good with it. Hell add a suppressor and really learn to use to it's potential. No fear of recoil or noise...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member