You fellas who live out west will get a laugh out of this, but I'm going to tell it anyway. I was so poor that I only had one one rifle and it was a model 70 Winchester chambered for the .243 Winchester cartridge. I had killed a truck load of white tail deer with it and a bunch of hogs hunting down south where I live.

My first chance to hunt out west came when a friend who was stationed out there in the military called me and said, meet me in Grand Junction, Colorado and we'll hunt mule deer on the Uncompadre Plateau. So I loaded up my truck and met him in Grand Junction and we went up on the plateau and pitched our tent and went hunting.

One day I was easing along through those trails in the junipher when I came to a little creek and there was a still steaming pile of bear poop. There was a BIG bear track in the creek mud and there I stood with my trusty .243. It had never occurred to me that there would be bears in the deer woods because we didn't have any bears in the woods where I had been hunting way down south.

The next year I went back out there hunting and took along a .375 H&H Magnum and everybody laughed and asked me why I had such a big rifle to kill mule deer. I told them I didn't have it to kill mule deer. I had it to kill ole GIRZZ if he came at me thinking I was gonna be his lunch. The moral of this story is to follow Ruark's advice and USE ENOUGH GUN!!

And you need to use enough gun not only to kill what you are hunting, but also to kill what may be hunting you.

Yeah, I know. Some of us are slow learners. But I dam sure got the message when I saw that pile of steaming bear poop.

Last edited by BobWills; 04/22/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.