My #1S .30-06 arrived two weeks ago and so far I've only had one short range session with it but will give a rundown of physical characteristics.

Mine weights 7 lbs 10 oz without scope, 8 lbs 12 oz with a set of #4 height rings and a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 scope. It comes with a pair of #5 rings, btw, I sent those back and am awaiting a pair of #4's in exchange. I borrowed the #4's on it from two Hawkeyes. #3 rings will let you mount a 40mm scope but you can't get it as far back as with #4's, so the 4's offer a good compromise of setting the scope back to get into the eyebox while not being so high to lose a decent cheek weld.

The barrel is .670" at the muzzle. With the thicker barrel it looks just a bit stubby to my eye, not ungainly by any means but not quite as graceful as the 26" barreled #1S magnum models in .300 or 7mm RM. To be a bit kinder, it looks very "business like". wink

Accuracy-wise it's showing me good things but I've only fired two groups with my reduced practice loads, the Hornady 150 gr. Spire Point with 44 and 46 grains of IMR4895 - not exactly barn burners for speed. This was just to sight it in and get a feel for the rifle, but it put four rounds into .89 and .97 inches respectively. I'm thinking more load work up will reduce those. Recoil with these loads was obviously light.

At first I thought something was wrong because after a few rounds to sight in and fire 8 shots for grouping, I switched to my 200 yard gong and started missing it randomly with a good sight picture at let off. After I got home I found that the rear ring clamp screw had loosened from the base (my fault for not checking it properly) so I got that tightened down. Who knows, maybe that will tighten up those groups?

Other than that it's a typical Ruger #1. Trigger pull is fairly crisp and consistent at 3 3/4 pounds. Wood looks nice from a distance but up close is a little bland. Mostly it's too light colored, with the character of the grain it would look better if the wood was darker. Balance is right between the hands and it feels and mounts well without the scope, a bit too heavy with one mounted.

An XS ghost ring sight is due to arrive tomorrow and that's what I intend to use this rifle with. One thing I noticed was that they seem to have raised the comb height since my last #1, a 1A in 7x57 bought some 6-7 years ago. With that one I could mount the rifle and be looking right through the open sights, with this one I have to scrunch my cheek down a bit to use them. Or maybe my face just got fatter in the last 7 years. Hey, it happens. wink

Overall, I am pleased with it. It does have the weight to mitigate recoil and the balance is very good. It's not as lively as the 1A models due to balance being more forward but it sets in your hands very nicely and is steady for offhand and kneeling positions. The local range is closed for a match this weekend but I'll work up some more loads and report back in a few weeks once I've given it an opportunity to show what it can really do.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!