Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I tried a couple: a 9422 and a CZ 455. The best either would do was about 3/4 to 1 inch at 50 yards with their preferred ammunition; good enough for the larger critters the round is appropriate for, but kind of un-inspiring for group shooters. With ammo availability still kind of iffy, getting the ammo a rifle prefers is tough. I decided that handloading my Hornet to mag levels was a better idea for me. Stingers and the like are also an option for those who want a little more power than regular .22s without buying another rifle.

The mag is a good option for those who don't require the finest accuracy or don't reload, and is a great handgun load, essentially providing .22LR rifle power in a handgun.

JB has a thread on the rimfire forum about the great performance he's getting with a Ruger American .22M. Maybe things are looking up.

Hmmmm. I'm used to the 22 magnum shooting pretty damn good. My dad gave me his Chuckster that he used when he was a kid. The rifle is older than I am and iS still a shooting machine. I liked it so much that I bought a newer rifle to preserve the little chuckster for when my kids have kids...Here's how the Mossberg chuckster shoots. I guess I'm getting the same kind of accuracy. About "3/4" groups at 50 yards", maybe even a little better. Of course those are 10 shot groups though. Good enough for the vermin around here....:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My RAR isn't quite as accurate, but it shoots just fine. With the ammo it likes, it averages a little less than 3/4" with 5 shot groups at 50 yards. The thing I really like about the RAR is how well it functions and the rotary mag is the best on the market. The Hornady 30gr. v-max ammo can be found here locally most times. The store I frequent the most has it for $13.00/box. They also have the CCI's and Remington accutips if you want to pay out the azz ($18.00/box). I'm glad mine likes the slightly cheaper stuff. My buddy just bought a RAR in 22 mag, because it gives a slight edge in potency over the 17 HMR when shooting coyotes. Another buddy of mine also bought the same rifle in 22 magnum for the same reason. Both of these guys gave up on the 17HMR after wounding coyotes. They often go to coyote competitions in southern Oregon, so they know what works and what doesn't work. They no longer own the 17 for anything. However, I will be the first to admit that the 17 is generally more accurate than the 22WMR and it surpasses the 22WMR in range for the smaller critters. If I were just wanting a small vermin (sage rat, ground squirrel, tree squirrel, etc. etc.), I'd opt for the 17, if coyote hunting was on the list of priorities, I'd choose the 22WMR.
[Linked Image]

Lucky you. Lots of others haven't been as fortunate. Since I've got the Mag's performance level bracketed and overlapped, and I'm not quite so subject to the whims of the marketplace and ammo lot variations, I'll likely not venture into the .22 Mag business again.

I'm glad it's working out for you, though. It's especially nice that your Dad's old rifle does so well for you. I'm trying to acquire some good ones to pass on to my boys as well, after I give 'em a good workout, of course.

What fresh Hell is this?