Pappy,

Unless I'm in a gun store for some other reason and they happen to have .22 rimfire at a decent price, I buy all of mine on the Internet. But I don't drive around checking gun shops for .22's.

Will pay 10 cents a round for good target-practice ammo, such as Aguila Match or Norma TAC-22, but for typical hollow-point ammo won't go that high, because I haven't had to. I had a decent supply of HP's before the stupidity of the Obama panic, but right now have a lifetime supply and add to it whenever a decent deal shows up. Just bought another couple bricks of TAC-22 on sale from an Internet store, during a "free shipping special."

However, I don't have any prejudices against non-American ammo, having discovered a lot of it is very good--and some American ammo isn't. Of course, a lot of foreign ammo was good before, especially Eley, but when ordering on the Internet, I often pick up a little of some other brand to try. Which is why I now have a case of Armscor (Phillipine) high-velocity hollow-points: They proved more accurate than the typical American bulk hollow-points in most of the dozen-plus firearms we own chambered for the .22 Long Rifle.

During the last 3-1/2 years least 95% of my rimfire purchases were made on the Internet. Just got in 1300 rounds of Long Rifle last week, a mix of CCI Mini-Mags and Federal AutoMatch, for less than 9 cents a round. Could pick up a bunch of the same right now, but won't unless it's on sale.

Unless I'm out in the field somewhere, I'm on the Internet anyway every day to answer e-mail and check the Campfire Classifieds. So I just spend maybe 2-3 minutes checking my favorite websites for rimfire ammo too. Which is what I'm going to do right now, and it will take less time than typing this post.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck