I've had gout since my twenties, but I was also blessed with an over active immune system, drug sensitivity is a result.

My internist started me on Benemid for gout. Within a year it caused me to breakout in hives and itching. Then I was switched to Allopurinol (Zyloprim). That went along for awhile, then more hives, a rash and muscle pain. The doctor switched me to Sulfinpyrazone (Anturane) which worked perfectly, reduced my uric acid level to normal, and caused no side effects or allergic reactions. Then, after decades Sulfinpyrazone became unavailable, it was discontinued. No one knows why it was discontinued in the U.S., the FDA doesn't even know, saying that the discontinuance wasn't safety related. The drug manufacturers just quit making or distributing it in the U.S.. That meant in my 40's I was without a gout specific problem free medication.

The doctor switched me to Naproxen to combat the inflammation. I still take Naproxen, although in a reduced dosage today, not just because of gout but because of numerous traumas and arthritis. Then I was hit head-on while driving my county truck, the impact bruised my kidneys and turned my legs black, cracking a knee cap. So that in time, I needed once again to reduce my uric acid level, but with reduced kidney function. I was put on Col-Benemid, a compound of Probebecid and Colchicine, at about age 55. After fifteen years of allergy immunizations reduced the load on my immune system, I didn't experience any ill effects, but the new physician put me on quarterly blood tests for kidney and liver function. When that physician retired he transferred me to another internist that was also a nephrologist. He decided to put me on Allopurinol because it's easier on the kidneys - but within a month those severe back and shoulder pains returned. Next he put me on Probenecid, without the colchicine. Now my blood is being tested monthly at age age 70, to monitor kidney and liver function, but my uric acid level is still quite high, but responds to diet as a means of reducing it slightly.

Main thing is that taking these drugs over the long term will require careful monitoring of kidney and liver functions, especially if numerous other drugs are in the mix. Be especially aware of any muscle pain that can't be assigned a cause, or a rash, and watch for heartburn or stomach pain. This stuff can all be detrimental if not monitored.