Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by JMR40

I wouldn't try to buy a 6 year old one rifle forever. By the time he is 16 he'll want to pick his own.

My first deer rifle was a 94, 30-30. Less than 2 yrs later it was GONE and I haven't looked for another one.
BTW, I was 22 yo, not 6.

FWIW in comparison.

Jerry

My first was at 36 when I bought myself a Rem 710 in 30-06. It's long gone and I don't miss it, but I wish I'd had the foresight to buy a quality firearm as my first so I would have kept it. It would mean something to still have the rifle I killed my first deer with, but I just had no desire to keep a crap rifle once I started collecting.

When it came time to help my BIL find a first rifle for my nephew, I wasn't going to make that same mistake. That's why we chose the Model 7 CDL. I understand being on a budget, but when buying a first rifle for a child, buy the best you can afford. You never know when the child may want that rifle to be an heirloom to be handed down to future generations. Do you want your grandchildren and great-grandchildren to start out with a RAR,Savage Axis, or Rem 770? Or would you prefer an M77, Rem 700, or Win Model 70? JMHO

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.