Originally Posted by Rick99
I'm not sure what the ATF would say about a non-registered Maxim. I guess hey would either register it or come and get it...don't know which.

From several inquires a few years ago to BATF agents and dealers only new manufacture suppressors can be registered, vintage ones that were never registered, or where the registration has elapsed due to a break in registered ownership, are almost impossible to re-register. I have heard of at least one that may have been, but I have not been able to find anyone who could do it, or anyway it could be done. I had asked these questions regarding suppressors that were legally registered back when registration was first required, but the registration was allowed to lapse when an owner died and none of the heirs got it transferred. What was once legal now is illegal with apparently no way to reverse that. I think the ones I had heard about have since been destroyed.

I have a few 22's that are set up for suppressors, one certainly for a Maxim but others came from England and may have used Parker-Hale's. I had wanted to do a cut away for display which would have rendered the suppressor inoperable but apparently by law they must be completely destroyed. Everyone I asked gave me slightly different interpretations of the law and I don't know who was really right, if anyone, I just gave up the idea as not worth hassle or risk.

I have literature on the specification for threading for Maxim's, I found it interesting that all sizes used 20 threads per inch starting with the smallest of ½"-20 used on 22 caliber which is a standard fine thread, .25 to .35 caliber used 9/16"-20, .38 to .40 caliber .614"-20 and 44 to 45 11/16"-20.

Gene