Yayen:

That letter is contained in the Pet Loads article on the 270 Winchester ,written by Ken Waters,and published in the first publication of Handloader Magazine. #1 as I recall.I have it here somewhere.

The letter from JOC arrived after the Waters article was finished and was added by Dave Wolfe of Wolfe Publishng, thus JOC's reference to "Dave".

The article dates back to the 60's IIRC. Don't have the article in front of me.

The "4831" that JOC refers to is the old original WW II stuff distributed by Bruce Hodgdon, and is NOT IMR 4831 (which was faster),nor the later Scottish made stuff which replaced the WW II stuff under Hodgdon's label.

The original WW II surplus 4831 seems to have been a slower powder than any succeeding 4831, a lot slower than the IMR version, and maybe a grain slower than the current stuff. To me it behaves more like todays 7828 but that's an observation not a scientific test.. smile

But I have worked with all those powders in the 270 Winchester.

Actually as I recall the only "H4831" JOC ever worked with and published data for was the old WW II stuff,far as I recall from his writings.

I notice his refernce to the Bronze point and Remington data....apparently back in those days both JOC and Warren Page had good relations with Remington,since the Remington lab seems to have shared pressure data with them; on the 270 with JOC and with Page on the 7mm Mashburn Super.

The 180 gr referred to by JOC is the old 180 gr Barnes bullet, cooper tubing/lead core bullet made by Fred Barnes a long time before Randy Brooks acquired Barnes bullets and dreamed up the "X".

Did JOC get those velocities? Yes I believe he did, having seen them myself from SOME 270's,and some have been mine....most especially you never knew what you'd see with a 24" barreled pre 64 M70 Winchester,and I have seen a couple nudge a shade over 3200 fps with 130's. I have seen a shade over 3100 from quite a few 22" barrels but that will vary a lot with the barrels.

Also I found out, early on, that with the more modern H4831 the classic 60 gr load is likely to give no more than high 2900's with the 130 gr bullets and a 22" barrel.

All moot to me as my favorite load in three 270's is 61 gr of the current H4831,WWLR primer, and 130 Nosler Partition, these being both the current style and the old screw machine bullet. One of those rifles gives about 3120 fps with both bullets.Both drop animals like sash weights.

I love the old 270. Safe haven when I don't GIS about ballistic gack and just want to shoot animals..... smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/29/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.