Friend of mine in High School when we lived at Ft Bragg, had his dad in Vietnam... his dad was a Green Beret....

someone broke into their home, they lived off base...

he chased the guy out, being the oldest and his mom freaking out... he grabbed an Old British 303 his dad had that was WW2 vintage..

he was by his sliding glass door next to the Washer and yelled for the guy to halt, as he was in the backyard running with some of his mom's jewelry in a bag..

when he yelled at the guy, the perp stopped and fired at him with a pistol the shot hitting the washer he was next to..

like his dad taught him, he didn't fire at the torso, but shot at his leg... took off his kneecap with a 303 FMJ... police came and hauled him away ( the perp) who happened to be one of "the brothers"....aka AfroAmerican...

three months later, my buddies family get a notice that the perp is taking them to court for shooting him...his dad came back from Nam, and I think his dad's military service is why it got thrown out of court...

but at the time it both shocked and pissed many of us, that the charges even saw the light of day in court...

this was 1968...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez