Out yesterday, testing my new Win 1892 in 45 Colt. The 285 LBT WFN bullets I cast up to 12-15 BHN run perfectly in the rifle. Seems to like 22.5 to 23.5 gr for 1540 to 1610 fps.

What I did not was on several occasions, I would push the tang safety, back, on to safe. When it came time to fire it, i'd forget to take it off and got the obnoxious "click". I feel that in dire circumstances (Murphy is always lurking), I don't want to 1) ever hear that click and 2) don't want to have to think about moving that safety off since the rifle would be carried with an empty chamber and i'd simply lever in a round when needed. So, is it possible to disconnect that safety without making it permanent? If the rifle is ever sold, I rarely sell my guns, I can reinstall it for the next owner.

Second item. I did replace the factory rear Buckhorn sight with a Skinner rear peep. I like it and will keep it. I did notice, with my near 58 yr old eyes, it was hard to maintain proper sight picture for elevation, with the brass bead. Are their options out there, replacement front sights, etc, to help with such problems? Black Partridge? Fiber optic? Different color bead?

Action is, I guess since i've never owned a lever gun, fairly smooth. If i'm wrong, what is a cheap way to smooth up the action and lighten the trigger? My old RCBS spring trigger gauge goes to 4.5 lbs and mine will exceed that.

I did come home with a little color on my shoulder. Start benching 70+ rounds of 285 gr bullets, all between 1365 and 1617 fps, and it gets a little uncomfortable with that curved steel butt plate. Suggestions?

I know the rifle is rated for the loads I'm shooting but what about long term? Are their things I should watch for to see if parts are loosening, peening, failing, etc? I read somewhere that this or similar model's magazine tube is press fit into the receiver, not screwed in, and can peen itself to death with heavy loads. Maybe that's for the 454 Casull.

Thanks for any info.

Alan