Originally Posted by JimLuke
Question is...Why would you want to feed that gun a steady diet of those loads?

Do you enjoy the abuse?

Mighty fine gun that would really be a pleasure with ordinary loads...that will do about anything that you might ever want to do with it.

I am your age, been doing this stuff a long time and the longer I do it, the more I realize that those loads that I have spent so much time sending downrange...are seldom if ever needed in the real world. A 250gr bullet at 1200 to 1400fps is nothing to be trifled with. JMO

Well Jim, since you asked, i'll let you in on a few things.

1) I'm a simplist when it comes to some things. One bullet. One load. Two firearms. Some of places I tromp, have tromped and will tromp have either large animals that I hunt or animals with big, nasty, sharp claws and teeth. Either of these firearms, with said load will help keep my hide attached in one piece.

I'm talking about stuff like this bull taken at 15 yds by yours truly with a 45 Colt.

[Linked Image]

and this gorgeous, near book, interior grizzly taken a few hundreds away from the above bull, a few days later.

[Linked Image]

2) As JoeBob alluded to, along with my research on the topic, others with far more knowledge and experience than me have brought to my attention the modern 1892 action is very strong and will handle this load (I settled on 23 gr for 1150 fps/< 3" 50 yd groups from the 5-1/2" Bisley and 1550 fps/<2" groups from the 1892) quite easily.

3) I never said anything about this being a plinking load, which if it were, yes, I might tone it down a bit. Also, in the world of 45 Colt loads, mine is neither sedate nor top tier. Take a look at some of the Buffalo Bore ammo out there if one wants to stomp on something.

4) Last but not least. Maybe it's because I just woke to find your post without having had my coffee. Your post, to my mind, came across quite "judgmental". Did I, indeed, read it correctly? If so, well...... If I did read it incorrectly, understand I tried to keep my post civil.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 05/19/16.