I'm 78 and I cannot hunt like a youngster. Hiking the mountains is out. I dumped my last magnum some three years ago. I still have some twenty or so rifles. Most all have a standard '06 or .30-30 case head, except the five center fire .22s and a .357 short rifle.

About thirty years ago, I purchased a matched pair of Browning, small ring Mauser actions, with pencil barrels in .243 and .308. Both are superbly accurate and the .308 is amazingly so. My big gun is a 9.3x 62. Truth be told the ..243 and .308 with modern bullets would do everything I will ever do from here on.

My Kawasaki Mule lets me hunt. I can get to or close to food plots, water holes, or game trails. Texas lets me hunt from the vehicle, but I often build brush hides to watch from. The Warn, cable, ropes, and pulleys help retrieve stuff without a great deal of effort. If I bite off more than I can chew, sons-in-law come in handy. Can't find one of them, go to town and look. There is usually someone that will assist for a little fresh meat.

I don't need stainless. If it is wet, I will wait for another day. Other than operating equipment at harvest time if needed, I don't have a job. Getting old is no fun, but it has a few advantages.

Besides that, I let most of the Bucks walk. I'm waiting for muy grande, or a fat barren doe. The does eat better and we do have too many.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero