Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

The problem with a lot of the suggestions made above is that they aren't stainless. Any more to me non-stainless firearms are toys that stay in the safe. Any serious hunting rifle is stainless. I don't need any more safe queens.

Ouch! If you looked in my safe, you would only find one stainless rifle and that would be a pre-64 Model 70 in 220 Swift. None are left in there and not shot or hunted...

Yeah the notion that a pre 64 M70 is not a "serious" hunting rifle is amusing. The rifle has BTDT on more continents, in the hands of more pros and PH's, on more dangerous animals than any amount of SS,screwed together,pimped out and cheesed up Campfire blueprints you could shake a stick at.

No offense intended to anyone. whistle smile

Yeah, I knew the stainless comment would get the geezers all riled up grin

Thing is, a stainless rifle works anywhere whether it be Mississippi or Montana. Chrome moly is a pain in the arse where I live, been there and done that. Yeah, I know there's this thing called oil but it's a crutch at best. I have never seen a chrome moly rifle in mississippi more than a year out of the store that wasn't peppered with rust spots. I don't care if you store them in a 55 gallon drum of oil, they're still going to rust down here. You don't have to hunt them in the rain, all you've got to do is walk outside and watch them sweat.

At one time the model T was state of the art, technology advances and there's better stuff today. If I'm paying good money to have the ideal rifle built then it's going to be made out of ideal stuff. A stainless M70 built by a good gunsmith is a better rifle than any pre-64 ever made, I've got six of them so obviously I believe in them.