This is a good time to enter the markets. Market goes up 2/3 of the "time" (which is your friend.)

I remember in my younger years that I didn't have any money to invest because I was spending it all on stuff (on credit.) As i look back, I hamstrung my ability to create wealth for my family by failing to curb my appetite for stuff on credit. A disastrous combination. I would say to myself, ". . . if I put this money in an investment I can never touch it til I retire. I can't see that far into the future." I can certainly see the (heavenly) light at the end of the tunnel now!

Stocks Follow Overseas Markets Lower; Pfizer Early Dow Leader

KEN SHREVE 10:00 AM ET - IBD

[Linked Image]
Pfizer outperformed in the Dow early Tuesday on strong earnings.
(Frances M. Roberts/Newscom)

The stock market opened sharply lower Tuesday, hurt by more weak manufacturing data out of China along with a sell-off in European stock markets.

The S&P 500, Nasdaq and Dow Jones industrial average all fell around 1%.

Declining stocks outnumbered advancers on the NYSE by about 4 to 1. The ratio was 3 to 1 on the Nasdaq.

Gold added to recent gains as the dollar weakened again. It edged higher to just under $1,300 an ounce. Money flowed into bonds as the 10-year Treasury yield crashed 8 basis points to 1.79%.

In the stock market today, early gainers in the Dow included Pfizer (PFE). The drugmaker jumped 2% to 33.61 on earnings. It’s been working its way higher in a long consolidation, finding a new home above 32 and its 200-day moving average.

Who are the leaders in Pfizer’s Medical-Ethical Drugs group? Consult IBD Stock Checkup to find out.

Meanwhile, after eight straight declines, Apple (AAPL) rallied 0.8% in the early going.

Inside the IBD 50, a couple of defensive stocks continued to trade tightly and hold near highs. Prestige Brands (PBH) added a penny to 57.61. Constellation Brands (STZ) eased 0.2% to 157.45.

A couple of growth names are set to report earnings after the close today: AmSurg (AMSG) and Paycom (PAYC).

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee