Originally Posted by DaveBulla
I realize this is a pretty old thread but it's the best one I've found regarding various Mauser types so I'll tag my question on here and maybe someone else will enjoy reading this one like I just did.

I was looking for info on the FN commercial mausers because I just found a nice one in 270 for sale locally for $449 but they already offered to go $400 plus tax. I'm trying to get it for $400 out the door but might cave and take their offer which would be about $450 out the door.

At this point, I can't provide info like model, date, proofs etc but can describe it somewhat.

Metal condition is good, wood is good with no cracks but the finish is spotty in places. Checkering is very fine and well done with an interesting border line about 1/8"out from the rest of the pattern. In the grip panel area, the bottom edge near the grip cap has a distinctive row of circles just inside the border that are about BB size.

Bore looks really excellent and the action is slick and solid. The trigger is single stage, crisp and about 2-3 pounds if I had to guess.

Oddly, there appeared to be no tear sight and no provision for one. It has a 2 piece Weaver Scope base but no scope. I suspect it may have been intended to have a rear peep. There were two holes on the right side rear receiver ring about half hidden under the wood. I guess you'd have to remove wood to install the peep?

Any info or"enabling comments" will be appreciated.

You're looking at an FN Deluxe, I believe. The funny little circles on the bottom border of the checkering give it away. I had one, but never fired it and sold it to a gunsmith that worked with my son at Gander Mountain. The stock on mine had been relieved for the receiver sight and then filled again with a little chunk of walnut; not a perfect color match, but an excellent fit.

Like all FNs, the Deluxe is an excellent rifle. As far as I know, all were made with the "H" collar in the breech, which makes them easier to manufacture, but compromises the gas-handling ability a bit, and annoys purists. Personally, I'll take all the FNs I can get, whichever collar they've got. Currently I've got two: a "C" collar 1948 .270, and a Sako High Power .30/06 built sometime in the late '50s or early '60s that has an "H" action, as all of them built after 1948 or so do.

If you like the rifle, get it and refinish the stock and/or metal as you wish. They're not especially rare or even valuable as the current crop of shooters thinks they're too heavy, have slow lock-times, and in general are obsolete and not suitable for shooting the wings off fairies at 1000 yards. That's okay; leaves more for me. They're great bargains and I see them on Gunbroker for not much more than the much plainer, but also excellent J.C.Higgins rifles sold by Sears and the equally solid, if sometimes a bit rougher, Zastavas imported by various outfits.

$450 is truly a steal.

What fresh Hell is this?