aalf,

Always good to see you Posting.

I reckon there's numerous ways to factor Compactitude...though none of mine would incorporate a contour of the sizing slated.(grin) The dimension from butt to crown will vary nil,assuming a like LOP and fixed furniture,when extrapolating one pattern to another. Given the contour hurdle,I'm quick to weigh balance/handling,over any/all "compact" notions. The A5 has no equal there and is certainly THE pick of the litter.

Were the query "How do I arrange a compact 16.5" threaded 260?"...the impetus would differ muchly. One could easily arrange a Chassis Bitch and reap the inherent goodliness of AICS DBM footprint sanctity,along with viable means to skew Compactitude,ala the incorporation of an M4-esque butt and/or folder.

It might could be akin to this.(grin)

[Linked Image]

In order to arrange this.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd personally not wish to exceed a #3 contour there,if only because I've driven them greater than...................

JP,

The Sako Varmint has long been a Good 'Un.

Shorter than 22" and in MTU-esque contour. It's betwixt the A5 and Classic(s).

[Linked Image]

While that pattern is a PEACH for flying that much contour(VS and greater),it is assuredly no compact.

For handy/dandy,one is farrrrrrrrr better off to drop contour and loose stock mass to boot and then lean heavily on a Classic.

18" Mike Rock 1-7" 223AI in Mag Sporter.

[Linked Image]

Now for svelte...the Montucky STEALS the fhuqking show. I've a few that are prolly even compact.(grin)

18.5" Bart' 270,20" Brux 6BR,21" Mike Rock 223AI,22.25" Brux 6-06,coupla 24" PN 7 Whizzums and an OEM 24" 7 Whizzum.

[Linked Image]

Easy for me to say...I got 'em all.............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."