Was surfing on line, just researching family history...

I am lucky due to the fact that my family history dates in places all the way back to Jamestown Va on my grandfather's side.

But this time I was researching my grandmother's side of the family. Came across this from a Book published in 1952, about historical sites and trips thru West Virginia...

Flat Top, 3350 ft altitude, Pop 30...

a tiny trade center on the mountain plays host for two days in Mid August each year to some 75,000 guests who come to attend the Lilly Family Reunion, held annually since 1930.

Robert Lilly was one of three sons, of an associate of Cecil Calvert, second Lord Baltimore who came to Maryland in 1640. All three sons migrated, one to Georgia, another to the Kanawha Valley, the third "Father" Robert Lilly married Mary Fanny Moody.

The couple left Maryland in 1732 to settle at the mouth of the Bluestone River, about 10 miles east of Flat Top. Father Robert Lilly died in 1810, aged 114 years oldand his wife Fanny died in 1807, aged 110 years old

They were the first permanent and continual settlement started in what is now the state of West Virginia....

seems a little 'iffy' that they could have lived to be those kind of ages back in those times...but records indicate their birth years as 1696, and their dates of death were on their original grave stones... which were moved in the 1950s, when the small town of Lilly, was to be underwater due to a new damn being built...

They are interned at the Family Reunion Grounds at Flat Top..

Here is a pic of their grave marker after they were relocated during the 1950s...

[Linked Image]

Guess clean mountain living back in those times...

Digging into this sort of stuff is fun and amazing what you can find...even tho my family has a lot of traceable history, still doesn't mean everyone else doesn't have some great family history to share...each of you are descendants of people who were alive in those days as well...

These are the folks that started this country and gave us what we have today....