It's all in what "weighted" means. All colleges use the "latin system" however it's not tied to a GPA, it's tied to rank, top 1%, 5% and 10%.

My school was "weighted", all classes where categorized as Level 1,2,3,AP. Your grade was then 'scaled' to even it out, so an A in L2 was the same as a B in L1, and so on.

There is fighting and animosity for the top spot, saw it first hand, my son was #6, but his best friend was #1, #1 and #2 and #3 all hated each other over who was higher ranked.

Any grading is dependent on the teacher as well. Our middle school recognized honors students for each year. We knew our son didn't make it as he got a C in the first term (had a 79.something average). We were shocked when he got the award for honor roll all 4 terms. Afterward his teach approached us and said she changed his first term grade so he could get the award. I pretty much went off on her that she had no right to do that, he got what he deserved in the first term, a C, and she was wrong to change it. She didn't understand why we were mad.