Thankfully there are lots of decent bourbons to try. The fun part is sampling them and figuring out if you like wheated bourbons, high or low rye bourbons and what age you typically like.

For a beginner, I would suggest you try a nice wheated bourbon like Maker's Mark, WL Wellers Special Reserve or Wellers Antique 107 or Larceny. All pretty smooth and sweet.

Don't give up on your Bookers yet. There is nothing wrong with adding a couple teaspoons of water (or more) to your taste to cut the heat. Also, let it sit for 10 min. before you drink it.

Other readily available and affordable good bourbons to try in no particular order:

Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel, Jim Beam Single Barrel, Evan William Single Barrel, Russell's Reserve, Henry McKenna, Elijah Craig 12 yr., Eagle Rare 10 yr. Bulleit and Bulleit 10yr., Rowan's Creek, Noah's Mill and Michter's Small Batch. That's a good start. At times, some may be hard to find. Like now, I can't seem to find any of the Weller products out there. I just finished off a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch and really enjoyed it. I'm now working on an Evan Williams Single Barrel 2006 and enjoying it too.

I would recommend staying away from the pricey craft distillery products as they are mostly just ok, tend to be young, and a poor value. The only one I've liked was the Hillrock Solera Aged Bourbon and it was very pricey. Again, add water if it's too hot or just to see how it changes the flavors. Start with a couple drops all the way to 2-3 teaspoons of water for the real high proof stuff. For my taste, bourbon in the 90 proof range is about perfect and 8-10 years of age, when you can find a bourbon with an age statement anymore. They are getting fewer and fewer.

Last edited by cooper57m; 05/27/16.