My shotgun of choice for informal clay targets (5-Stand) is a 48 in 20 gauge. It's a plain barrel with modified choke. I think the only difference between a 48 and an 11-48 is that the 48 has dimples in the magazine tube that only allows a total of three shots to be loaded. Perhaps there are some cosmetic differences (?).

Have a second 20 gauge 48 with a vent rib in transit back from the gunsmith getting a blue job. It was another rescue gun shoots well but had some serious finish issues.

I've put well north of 1000 rounds of various cheapo 'Gun Club' type ammo through the 48 and not had one failure of any kind. Equally important is that it fits me very well and I shoot it well. Had a very nice 16 gauge for awhile but this 20 gauge seems to be just right for me.

Not trying to veer the thread off subject, but a lot of the rescue guns that I bring home don't have vent ribs. They shoot fine and I've yet to have a heat distortion issue even when I've gotten some barrels heated up to where they were uncomfortable to touch. I had been raised on vent ribs guns since my first shotgun and always looked down my nose at not ribbed guns. But not any more. IF they fit properly and POI is good, they will shoot good without a rib.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.