Originally Posted by rost495
BTDT, spend more time running and carrying heavy packs, we did rotations of 50ish, 70ish and 120ish pounds on packs at times... and run... or at least hard stair stepping... I ran bleachers generally. Forward and backward and sideways at times...

Making a 30 yard shot doesn't take much skill. Not being in shape enough to get to where you can get a 30 yard shot, takes MUCH more work.

Aspirin, acclimatize, etc..... exercise. I can hunt moose without cardio workouts... and is likely why I don't elk hunt lately... not enough time to dedicate to the right exercise at 51.
Of cousre it doesn't help that we have fallen in love much more with AK than any other state we've been too... there is elk there too though.... in my future. LOL.

You hit the nail on the head. If guys spent as much time getting in shape as they do worrying about equipment they would be much more successful. I ride my mountain bike basically year round (1,500+ miles per year) to stay in shape. Some early season scouting and horn hunting in the mountains helps fine tune for the opener. I'm usually in great shape and can really get around about the time the season ends........It is much easier to maintain a decent level of fitness than bounce in and out of shape. That is much truer now that I am in my late 40's than it was in my 20's and 30's.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope