That crimp method is one way to do it but it usually results in blown patterns of the shot because the soft lead deforms as it is pushed through the harder brass case to open it up upon firing. But it does work, especially with the larger cartridge cases like 44 and 45. Another way to do it is use gas checks as your over the powder wad and then over the end with a little roll crimp to hold it in place. I have had to use that method when I ran out of shot cups.

But the best shot cartridges, by that I mean those that hold the most shot and have the best patterns, are those made with the plastic shot cups. At least, they have been the most effective for me anyway. Last year, on the first trip into camp in late August after having not been there since April, I killed seven cotton mouths in about 10 minutes at the very first bridge over a little slough on the way into camp.

It's always interesting to see how different people solve problems or make things that work. That is what is so cool about reloading and why I like to hang out with you boys. Yawl are always coming up with stuff that is neat and interesting. I am absolutely humbled by some of the stuff yawl do.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobWills; 06/08/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.