I can't speak as to the Mini 14. I've only owned one, and for a VERY brief time. Only 3 weeks. Never fired it. Bought it from someone that hated the thing. It had an original factory wire folding stock on it.

I had another buddy that found out about the Mini 14 and made me an offer that I could not refuse. I paid $350 for the rifle, and he paid me $1,000.00 Not bad on the turn around price since I had not even placed it up for sale or told too many people that I owned the darn thing.

As for AR15's. I only own one at the present time. A LMT lower and a Model 1 upper with a Lothar 20", 1" diameter stainless barrel. 1:9 twist. It shoot's MUCH better than I can. It's not something that I'd want to carry afield very long because it's heavy, but it does shoot very well.

As for a true M14. I have a friend that served in Viet Nam. He carried an M14 chambered in 7.62x51.

To this day his go to big game rifle is a Springfield M14 in .308 Deer, elk, bear. Does not matter. He shoots it well, and is comfortable with it.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.