Did you guys start out intentionally targeting certain guns? Were they for hunting or did you start in Savages collecting? Was it always an investment or how did you start?

My beginning was a single 99 in .375 for hunting. Ammo was $25 a box back then, big money by $7.99 30/30 ammo standards. But I was convinced it was 3 times better so I kept it. Killed alot of big stuff with that gun. John/saddlering now owns that same 99.

Went through a bunch of hunting guns looking for things that fit and functioned well for me, but landed back on the lever action Savage as my favorite. I think the lightbulb moment was when I realized other cartridges were available and if I wanted to, I could probably hunt other stuff with different 99's if I bought some. grin I'll admit it, I learn slower than some.

As I learned more about them, I found they were becoming a little bit collectible. Not Winchesters yet, but moving up. I found a little 99EG 250-3000 still in factory grease and bought it for $600. While researching it, I landed here. Since then, you basterds have cost me a small fortune!

Now that I have more than I need to hunt, I target certain models and calibers in nice shape to set aside. But I started as a hunter.

What about you, what's your story?

LOL