I agree with the above post. Although the barrel for the 7-08ai I have now came from a factory Rem Alaskan Ti 7-08. I like the 50-75 fps, and hardly ever trimming.

IF one can get those listed velocities with Reloader-16 in a stock 7-08, add another 50 fps with an AI and it supports a very nice lightweight, compact hunting rifle.

My wife used a 7mm-08AI to take a 7x8 NM bull last fall right at 400 yds. She was using a 120 gr TTSX with a MV around 3120 fps. Very easily obtainable with a standard 7-08. Admittedly, IMO at least, this was close to as far as I would want to try that particular combination. But the bullet did exit and the elk walked about 30 yards uphill and went down. She did put one finishing shot in him when she and her guide got to the bull, but he wasn't going anywhere.

[Linked Image]

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."