I don't have a dog in this hunt. However, he asked about "reasonable" not free hunting. What is reasonable in one part of Texas might not be in another part. For example, if I was not a landowner, I would never be able to afford South Texas where I hunt. Why because it is not reasonable to hunt based on my salary, and I make a very good salary. Do I hunt in the same blind each year with the same feeder each year, yes I do and more then happy to. And I take a deer each year at least 140 pound and at least the same score. I really don't care about the rack anymore, I have so many of them, its pointless, its more the weight for me. My family also had some "hill county" land, that I hunted when I was a child too, but that sold. If the deer was more then 80 pounds, that was a monster. There were so many deer in the area that a year round lease was cheaper then the taxes on the property, but that was years ago.

Quite frankly if you are not making better then 250k a year (based on south Texas wages), you are priced out of South Texas. Would I never lease for deer, never. For hogs, it was not for the liability and the lease permits, etc., that's a different story. I wish rancher's would stop managing hogs trying to make money on hogs and just get every kill every last one of those things.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 06/28/16.