Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Journeyman
The whole "bushcraft" thing cracks me up... It must be a metric fook ton tougher to survive in a backyard in a US city than it is here on our ranch in central Idaho, and my wife's family place in Argentina...and this from a guy who spent a large portion of his career in Aberdeen, Scotland and the Lakes region of the UK, where "bushcraft" supposedly emerged, as well as 4 years in Norway and Denmark...yet despite shooting clays at the international level each week, F Class and Hunter Class benchrest, and hunting birds, roe, red, muntjac, fox yada, yada on a steady basis, never heard the term until I returned to the US and became an internet addict...

LOL...I'm not sure what shooting BR and/or clays has to do with anything other than your ego but as far as the bushcraft crowd goes....a wise old woodsman I know calls em "Trinket Mullets".... laugh
The way I see it the "Bushcraft" trend consist of mostly harmless young city dwellers that want a taste of the outdoors but being educated in the 21st century they don't have the ability to think for themselves so they buy into a bunch of BS from a handful of posers who convince em that they need to attend their bushcraft/survival classes and buy their gadgets....

Bottom line.....no matter where you live or whether you pitch a tent or build a shelter out of palms...it's just camping...
A good knife...or small knife and hatchet in my case...will enhance the experience either way though... smile

Sorry, I've been in China of all places the last few weeks. I have several offline messages from friends that I needed to return and reply to this thread.

What I was trying to convey above (and obviously failed here, though in similar discussions on other boards everyone seemed to get it...???) was that I spent 8 years on and off in the Lakes region of Northern England, and in Aberdeen, Scotland. The QUOTE "BR and/or clays" thing have ZERO to do with ego and EVERYTHING to do with the topic. The BR/clays/hunting experience was simply meant to show that I, being 4500 miles from home and looking for outdoor activities, spent a lot of time with a cross section of outdoorsmen from the place where this "bushcraft" stuff supposedly emanates, yet that broad spectrum of outdoorsmen, a great many of them ex and former Forces, had never heard the term. No ego, no hairy chest, just an observation...

And - I still think it is silly.